Devil with the Green Eyes

I know you can only see me as a vision.

Thursday, August 24, 2006

Doing my part for anarchy

Why is the man trying to keep me down? There is a parking "situation," and the people are rising up. Couple weeks ago, the garage people got all professional and painted directional arrows on the pavement, which instruct one to drive the long way when going up in the garage, and the short way when going back down. Now, I have been taking the short way both directions for over two years. I don't intend to stop now. So I didn't. Then they started putting orange cones all over the place, trying to stop the scofflaws. And Tooth (he only has one), the 125-year-old security guard, would stand in the lane to force us to take the long way.

For awhile, I did okay skirting the cones, and then darting away when I saw Tooth at the upper floor where there were open spots. Every morning, I'd commiserate with the other drivers about how the whole situation was making our blood pressure rise.

Yesterday morning, I was taking the nice short way up, and I saw another woman who was taking the long way up look over and the light bulb go on in her face. She started taking the short (smart) way -- but then the little parking car came out of nowhere and stopped her. She got a talking-to, I believe. I took off. I did feel bad for a moment.

This morning, I got accosted. Okay, I did run over a cone. Little miscalculation. But did the parking nazi have to chase me down in his little bug car? He was quite polite when he stopped me to explain the "procedure," but he also offended my friend, who thought he was talking to her, but she hadn't gone the wrong way, yada, yada, yada.

I can see that this is about to come to a head and I'm probably going to have my parking card taken away. But right is right. Right?

4 Comments:

At 3:35 PM, Blogger Twinkie said...

You must really like your job. I'd be inclined to take the long way in just to delay it a few more minutes. :-) Not that I HATE my job or anything, but it IS work...

 
At 4:08 AM, Blogger Matt Kohai said...

I agree with Twinkie!

When rules are arbitrary and the people meant to follow them don't agree with them, you'll run into situations like this. Ideally, the people making these rules would be sympathetic to your plight and would listen to your complaints about it, perhaps come up with a less-heinous solution. Unfortunately, all too often, the people making the rules have long ago lost touch with the people forced to obey them...

Good luck with the parking sitch.

 
At 10:59 PM, Blogger NWO said...

don't let the Man hold you down. well, some men, i guess, would be ok. but not the Man.

 
At 7:23 PM, Blogger Green-Eyed Girl said...

Twinkie, you know I do. Besides, I waste plenty of time in the morning before I ever leave the house...

Matt, wait, where do I find these people who will listen to my complaints???

OW1, consider the system screwed, if I have anything to say about it. AND I DO.

NWO, you can hold me down any time. But turn about is fair play.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home