Devil with the Green Eyes

I know you can only see me as a vision.

Thursday, August 17, 2006

Too much summer

What was I saying about not eating much?? Last weekend, I went down to the truck guy. The guy who parks his truck across from the welfare mall and sells the most beautiful fruits and vegetables. He's not too clean, but I'm not bringing him home, so there ya go. I bought, among other things, huge bags of peaches and yellow tomatoes. Giant yellow tomatoes. Not huge like they were full of chemicals, just perfectly big and round.

I made a too-yummy cobbler with some of the peaches for the pool party on Sunday. They could have been a bit riper that day, but I HAD to have cobbler. I would have eaten the whole panful myself if I hadn't taken it over there to share.

Today after work, the rest of the peaches and the tomatoes were ripe. RIPE. I stood over the sink and ate one peach. There was no other way -- too full of juice. Then another. I couldn't stop eating those juicy pinky-yellow fruits and I couldn't bear the thought of them passing their prime -- uneaten. Then I started on the tomatoes. Just bit in and let the juice run down my arm. I honestly don't even know how many of each I had. A produce frenzy, is what it was.

Now I have a belly ache. And a few more tomatoes and peaches must be consumed before they age too much more. It is my mission.

3 Comments:

At 4:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The mention of 'tearing into some produce' makes me think of the Iron Chef.

The way he molests a sexy bell pepper with his eyes, takes one enormous bite, then smiles (and doesn't freakin chew!!!!)

My favorite days are when the ingredient is 'robster'.

Anywho, the peaches sound great.
"Movin to the country, gonna eat me a lot of peaches..."

 
At 9:05 AM, Blogger Alyson said...

mmm..I love peach cobbler. Now I have a craving.

 
At 8:43 PM, Blogger Matt Kohai said...

Ohhh, fresh produce... I remember as a kid, when I used to go camping all summer long with my family, and therer was a guy who drove by with a truckful of fresh produce. My favorites were the cucumbers - a nickel a piece, and I'd buy a quarter's worth... Mmmm - and no waxy crap on them like in the supermarket!

Thanks for the flashback!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home