Devil with the Green Eyes

I know you can only see me as a vision.

Friday, July 28, 2006

One of life's greatest pleasures

is getting a shy guy to open up to me. Like tonight. A shy guy is a rare treat to treasure. Not full of himself. Not brash (yet). Afraid, but at the same time, seeking, eager to find someone who understands, who can listen and safeguard what is heard. I understand shyness. I wouldn't classify myself as shy anymore. More reserved, until I decide I like you (I don't like many people, so not bloody likely), or trust you (highly unlikely). But I know that feeling, listening to others open up and thinking what you would reveal about yourself...but, no. The key is to make him laugh. Once I get that laugh, the real one with the crinkly eyes and nose, and the key eye contact, I've got him. We've got our inside jokes, we're both best one on one, playing off each other's sarcastic remarks, raised eyebrows and the occasional wink. (Never underestimate the power of a wink.) And a shy guy knows his revelations are safe with me. Shy people have the finely honed skill of knowing who can keep their damned mouth shut because they understand the value of personal information carefully offered, piece by precious piece. He can tell me how old he was when he got in his first fist fight and who landed the first blow and how it felt. What specific, peculiar physical sensation he has when he gets so angry, so irate, that he's about to go off. What actor he'd want to play him in a movie about his life, and why exactly? What he'd do with his life if he won the lottery and his best outrageous money-making, pie in the sky ideas. What his greatest disappointment in life is so far, and a few of the ideas that he thinks about right before he falls asleep. Why he REALLY pushes himself so hard to excel, competing against his personal best every day. It's wondrous.

4 Comments:

At 6:10 PM, Blogger NWO said...

Speaking as a former shyguy, I salute you!

 
At 10:43 AM, Blogger Green-Eyed Girl said...

NWO: Aw, I'm always here for you. I have much love for shy guys and former shy guys.

 
At 6:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

*waves* Former shy girl here, :-)

 
At 8:06 PM, Blogger Green-Eyed Girl said...

Hey Sally, it's no handicap but it does seem to fade over the years, huh? Anyway, I think shyness is cute.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home