Devil with the Green Eyes

I know you can only see me as a vision.

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Not buying it

When I was visiting my grandmother awhile back, she said, "I hope this won't offend you," which of course means I'm about to be offended. Then she launched into god talk. She's always been religious, and she's always been worried to death that I and my brother are heathens (and going to hell, of course). But I listened to her describe how her faith had helped her through difficult times because I knew how important it was to her and that she was worried about me. "If you invite HIM in, HE will come." Hmmmm. That sentence kind of cycled through my head as she went on and on. What a simple, simplistic idea. But I don't like simple, I like complexity. She even handed me a Max Lucado book, "Next Door Savior." I just picked it up, thinking I should mail it back to her, because I'll never read it. I flipped through -- apparently god loves losers and you can give him all your heartache, worry and struggles. Now that would really be something: Could I tell him that I'm a loser? That in the last few weeks I've lost the people in my life that I cared about and needed the most, that I'm aching, worrying and struggling? And then I'll be hunky dory? I know the desperate, scared (and imprisoned) are big recruiting grounds for god, but I guess I've never been that desperate because it never made sense to me before and it doesn't now. It would be lovely if life were that simple, but it's simply not.

11 Comments:

At 9:59 PM, Blogger NWO said...

May your aching, worry and struggles just pass and leave you stronger. You ARE God in your heart; life is good G-EG, enjoy the moments.

 
At 10:16 PM, Blogger Twinkie said...

If you were drowning in an ocean full of other people who were floating by wearing invisible lifejackets, you probably wouldn't waste your time laughing about the stupidity of those floating people. You wouldn't be snickering with your drowning friends about how ridiculous their ways were, either. You would be trying like hell to figure out where those invisible things were and how to get one on.

Faith is like those lifejackets. You can't understand how they work unless you put one on yourself. You also can't understand how faith will keep you afloat in times of need until you've really worn one.

People can kind of walk you through the process, but they can't give you faith... they can't put on your lifejacket for you. And let's be honest here, you're not really trying to put on that lifejacket.

Don't want to put one on? Fine! But SWIM, woman!!!!

I'll still love you no matter what you believe. But just for the record, I believe it is "that simple." Life won't magically become perfect, but you'll never be alone again.

A very wise man once told me, "God is not person, he is personal." It took me a loooong time to figure that out but I think I've got it now. You have to figure out who God is for yourself. But you must seek God. He'll knock on your door a lot, like right now, for example, but it's definitely up to you.

And while I'm out here on this limb... talking about my belief in things that I've heard you ridicule many times, let me leave you with one thought: you brought it up.

 
At 10:22 PM, Blogger Green-Eyed Girl said...

NWO: THANK YOU

TWINKIE: I didn't mean to insult you or anyone else. I'm not laughing or snickering. I apologize. Thank you for your thoughts.

 
At 11:11 PM, Blogger Twinkie said...

You know what? I'M sorry. I swear that post was supposed to be encouraging. I realize it doesn't sound that way. I suck. :-)

 
At 11:45 PM, Blogger Green-Eyed Girl said...

Twink, I love you. :) Thanks for being my friend.

 
At 10:31 PM, Blogger NWO said...

My 2-more-cents: Twinkie Rocks!

 
At 10:39 PM, Blogger Green-Eyed Girl said...

NWO: Yes, this is very true. We don't agree on everything (nachoes and brie, right, Twinkie?), but I love, love, love her.

 
At 12:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think it's what you believe in, as long as you believe in something.

It's the lack of faith (in anything) that I find disturbing, not the lack of *religion*.

Just my .02 ;)

 
At 7:39 AM, Blogger Green-Eyed Girl said...

I have faith in me.

 
At 6:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was my comment, btw :P

 
At 4:26 AM, Blogger Matt Kohai said...

I find faith to be a difficult thing to take, myself, at least faith in anything vast, unprovable and all-powerful. I have faith in myself, and I have faith in my friends. For me, thus far, it's enough. They don't let me down, and I don't let them down - simple enough formula to live by.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home