Devil with the Green Eyes

I know you can only see me as a vision.

Monday, May 01, 2006

Wrap it up?

Recently, several people have shared stories with me of their or acquaintances/friends/whatever's sexual escapades. I'm always willing to be a good listener when this is the topic, for as long as it takes, and these stories didn't disappoint, but one disturbing fact was included in each one. No protection. Some of the participants apparently had made other anti-procreation arrangements, but I couldn't help but think about what another friend told me awhile back: that one in four people have an STD.

(She also told me that a certain part of our town has a MUCH higher percentage rate going, and it's so well-known that it's affecting those folks' ability to get any action, but I'm afraid to say which part because it would most certainly lead to me getting my butt kicked. But I digress.)

I went to check out some numbers, and my friend probably wasn't too far off. One in four may have genital herpes, but 90 percent don't know it. Half the population will get an STD by age 25, and more than half will have one at some point in their lives.

One friend, after telling me about her partner's many conquests, said with a straight face that she didn't worry because she knew he was picky. Really, it's not my business and I'm no doctor, so there's nothing I can do beyond worry and hope that if it turns out that anything needs to be treated, the appropriate professional will be consulted. The punchline: He was terrible in bed. Ain't that a kick in the head?

2 Comments:

At 7:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 7:46 AM, Blogger Green-Eyed Girl said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home