Devil with the Green Eyes

I know you can only see me as a vision.

Saturday, May 13, 2006

D-I-V-O-R-C-E

Does it happen to everyone? It seems so. The only question is when. Close friends I've known for 15 years and who've been married for eight, are splitting. Two little kids and a third party involved. The judgments, tears and pain are in full force. I can't stand to watch/hear them go through it all, after being part of them growing up together and all the good times. My step-sister is going through a similar situation. Two little kids and a mother who now won't speak to her because she disapproves of how she's handling her life. How a 39-year-old woman is handling her own life. How can people who love each other be so judgmental and cut each other out of their lives, just when the need for support is greatest? Smart girl and her husband are separated and thinking that a move to another state might fix things. You take your problems with you, though, and then add new ones.

You can never know what goes on between two people behind closed doors, and trying to figure out what might have led to a final split is a waste of time. One thing I have learned in the last year, in a number of ways, is that judging has no place in the equation. Being there to listen is the best you can do, I think. Of course, that can be tricky when you love both parties.

I was talking to my mother about all this, and she gave me a word of warning, "Be careful, divorce is catching." She may be right.

4 Comments:

At 10:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 6:50 PM, Blogger CourtesyZealot said...

Hey Green Eyes,
The D-word must be catching. My wife and I are splitting after 15 years. We met 19 years ago this month, so we know each other's hot buttons... We are trying to be civil, but it is very hard.

 
At 8:26 PM, Blogger Green-Eyed Girl said...

CZ, That must be excruciatingly difficult. I understand the roller coaster of a long-term relationship (married almost 14 years, together almost 20). One of my friends who's going through this said she has to do what is right for herself. Though it is painful, it is truly the only way. Take care of yourself.

Yemanja, nobody ever thinks it will, do they? But to hear you say you've never been happier -- wow -- powerful!

 
At 8:27 PM, Blogger Green-Eyed Girl said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home