Devil with the Green Eyes

I know you can only see me as a vision.

Monday, September 25, 2006

Butterscotch

I was lying down, worrying a problem that has been preoccupying my mind incessantly. I'd gone through every possible scenario, come at it from every angle, but it's an unsolvable riddle. Or one that has no satisfactory resolution, anyway. But still I think about it, trying to figure it all out. I'm smart, I can do it, right? My mind started to slow down and all of a sudden, I was overwhelmed with a crushing craving. For butterscotch pudding. Did my mind just want to stop the worrying and obsess on something attainable?

It has to have been years since I've had butterscotch pudding. It's not an especial favorite of mine. But I could see the spoon breaking the surface and pulling out a triangular wedge, and then I could feel the cold pudding dissolving on my tongue, comforting me. It's too, too sweet.

I went to the cookbook. Aha, I have brown sugar, butter, milk, flour, salt, eggs and vanilla. It will take just a few minutes of mixing, boiling, thickening. I guess today I can have what I want, after all.

6 Comments:

At 1:31 PM, Blogger Twinkie said...

So you were fantasizing about Owen Wilson? (That's a butterscotch joke, if you don't know... anyway...)

Butterscotch pudding is a very occasional treat, but when you want it, you want it.

 
At 2:04 PM, Blogger Green-Eyed Girl said...

Maybe I'll take a bath in it. And Owen Wilson can join me.

 
At 9:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 3:17 AM, Blogger Matt Kohai said...

I don't know the Owen Wilson joke, but I do know I used to LOVE butterscotch pudding...

 
At 5:36 PM, Blogger Matt Kohai said...

Twink - I did some research, found out the Owen Wilson has the nickname "the Butterscotch Stallion," but can't find the origin of how he got it... Any ideas?

 
At 12:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, so the best use for butterscotch pudding, is butterscotch cream pie...mmmm, basically pie crust, puddin, homemade whipped cream....perfection!! :) Hope you got your treat!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home