Devil with the Green Eyes

I know you can only see me as a vision.

Tuesday, February 13, 2007

I still do it


I write letters. Real letters. I pick out pretty or cute or funny (to me) cards. I choose a pink or purple ink pen.
First, I address the envelope. Lick the stamp (pretty one). Place it just so in the corner.
Then, I'm ready to write. I just mailed a big stack. A whole bunch of thank yous, a condolence card, and several to say, "I'm thinking of you. You're important to me. You make a difference in my life."
These are the best ones.
E-mail is quick and dirty and I use it too much. Great for transferring information and jokes. Not great for feelings. Easily deleted and forgotten.
Don't even get me started on IM.
I've kept just about every card and letter I've ever gotten. Piles and piles of them. When I read them (and reread them), I picture the sender doing what I do -- making it a ritual, sitting down with all the supplies, looking up the address, putting thought into the message, trying to write neatly, to create an artifact worth saving, deciding whether to end with:
Love,
me
Sincerely,
me
Love ya!
me
Talk to you soon,
me
Miss you,
me
Goodbye,
me
It matters. It all matters.

5 Comments:

At 1:22 AM, Blogger Don said...

Fountain pen. Check.
Glass dip pen. Check.
Inkwell. Check.
Parchment. Check.
Sealing wax. Check.
Assorted seals. Check.

I don't write letters often, but when I do, I write 'em in style...

 
At 1:57 PM, Blogger Twinkie said...

Color me impressed. I'd like to do more of that but I'm too disorganized. I should probably make organizing my life my next BIG GOAL and invest in a planner. That'll have to wait for 2008, though, 'cause 2007's already too full. :-)

 
At 11:59 AM, Blogger Green-Eyed Girl said...

Kohai, I have no doubt that you do. And I bet they're keepers.

Twinkie, I can't even organize my purse, but no worries.

 
At 9:03 PM, Blogger Sally-Sal said...

You're wonderful. Thoughtful. Stunning. Amazing. 'Nough said :)

 
At 7:36 PM, Blogger Green-Eyed Girl said...

Sally, aw, shucks, you're too sweet. :) Back at ya.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home